Monday 29 September 2014

Monday blues baking



Hello!!!!!

I hope you all had a better weekend than we did!
Seriously it has just been crazy in our house!! We have two cars, a Toyota Hilux ute and a Mitsubishi Lancer and they both decided to die! BAM  just like that! The clutch burn out on the lancer and the timing chain snapped on the Hilux!! Why?!!?!!? So neither of us had a way to get to work today so we both stayed home with Josh working on the ute to get it up and running but its not looking to good so far but fingers crossed! And I have spent the day running around like a chook in a flap catching up on washing and cleaning and when I get stressed I like to bake so that's exactly what I did which is what brings me here with another little post for you beautiful people!!

We have been on a bit of a health food buzz for awhile and being vegetarian I am on a constant hunt for yummy protein packed recipes. Along the way I have discovered many amazing super foods I am wondering how I ever survived without such as quinoa, chia seeds, coconut oil, coconut flour and kale just to name a few. But today I really felt like baking some sweet goodness so I jumped on board the Google train to see what it had to offer and I wasn't successful so I decided to pull apart an old recipe and give it a little make over. We are pretty big on protein powder in our house because of the lack of meat so we always have a huge container on hand so I decided why not make protein cupcakes???! These are so yummy and filling they make for a perfect afternoon snack to tide you over until dinner with their sweet vanilla coconut body and a yum marshmallow texture icing you will be drooling for more!And here is the result:

Little handful of yum.




VANILLA COCONUT PROTEIN CUPCAKES

Prep time: 10 mins             Cook time:15              Servings: 15 cupcakes

Ingredients:

3/4 cups flour (I just used plain flour but you could use coconut or almond if you like)
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
2tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup buttermilk (if you don't have any you can make it with 1/2 cup milk and 1tsp apple cider vinegar set aside in a bowl for 5 minutes to curdle)

Method:

  1.  Preheat oven to 180c and put muffin cases in a muffin tin.
  2. In a medium bowl sift together flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl beat the eggs until fluffy then add sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
  4. Add vanilla and coconut oil and beat for another minute.
  5. Add to egg mixture half of the buttermilk and half of the flour mix, beat slowly adding the remaining milk and flour. Continue mixing until it is a smooth constancy you may need to scrape the side to combine anything left on the sides of the bowl.
  6. spoon batter into the cases so they are half full.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes or until they bounce back in place when touched with a clean knife. Remove from oven and allow to cool before icing.
Protein icing
 So you can ice with whatever icing you like but if you would like a little more of a protein kick try this out for size! It will set into a yummy marshmallow consistency.

1/2 cup plain or greek yogurt
1cup vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup icing sugar (you could go without this and just add more protein powder if you like)

beat all ingredients together until you have a thick fluffy mixture if you find it isn't thick enough add more protein powder until you have a butter cream type consistency. Pipe onto cupcakes and allow to set. Enjoy!!!

 

I hope you enjoy the recipe guys! 
   And I have to admit the weekend wasn't all bad we did have some special guest come on Saturday to help us try move the car and I made a very special tutu for a very special two year old ;)

The pretty princess and the devil ute in the backround!


I will put up a tutorial for the tutu at a later date but for now I am going to cook some dinner for my very deserving and hard working partner! 

Talk soon my pretties!
xx

1 comment:

  1. lovely baking! Lovely visitor, hugs to herxxxxx And her mummyxxx

    ReplyDelete